Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark...

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Library Project: September 15 - 21


It happens, right? You spend years amassing your home video collection and, inevitably, you end up with a couple of movies that you don't watch for years. Going through my collection recently I discovered movies I forgot I owned (and a couple to maybe be embarrassed about owning), and movies I love that for whatever reason I haven't watched in at least five years. In light of that I've decided to work my way through my library one movie at a time (though, sadly, I have to exclude all the films I still have on VHS, as I no longer have a functioning VHS player), in alphabetical order since I'm just that OCD, and track my progress. Here's what I watched this week:

September 15: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - A masterpiece from a master filmmaker. No matter how many times I watch this one, I still find myself completely entranced by the Dawn of Man sequence and by the operatic sweep of the space sequences.

September 16: 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days (2007) - A recent acquisition courtesy of the neighborhood video store closing. This brilliant Romanian drama is just as enthralling to me as it was the first time I saw it and Anamaria Marinca's performance remains one of the best I've seen in the last decade.

September 17: Adventureland (2009) - A slight but very enjoyable movie about the second coming of age (the transition between the extended adolescence of college and real adulthood) starring Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart. The film has a nice mix of comedy and drama and a pretty awesome soundtrack, too, though it does drag a bit towards the end.

September 18: Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972) - Werner Herzog's haunting and intense period piece about Conquistadors in search of El Dorado remains my favourite of his films. Nobody does crazy quite like Klaus Kinski.

September 19: All About Eve (1950) - One of the few films ever made that can be said to be perfect. I mean, frame by frame, line by line perfect. Exquisite, even.

September 20: American Beauty (1999) - There are a lot of movies about how the suburbs are soul crushing, but Sam Mendes' dreamy, exaggerated take is certainly one of the best. Annette Bening gives one of her best performances in this darkly funny drama.

On Tap For Next Week: Some Garbo, some Woody Allen and (hopefully) more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Adventureland was fun though fluffy (as you said). American Beauty is wonderful, though it took a second viewing for me to appreciate it.